Shri. B.S. Gilra ( BT-CH, ’67 ), President, Orient Paper Mills (CSU
Brief bio of the speaker
- Educational Qualifications: B.Tech (Chemical Engineering), IIT, Madras; passed out 50 years ago in 1967.
- Management Programs :
Completed several programs at IIM. Ahmadabad & Kolkata during 1970-1995,
Global Program for Management Development of the University of Michigan Business School, USA, in 1998,
Managerial Grid Program by Scientific Methods Inc., USA, in 1999.
- Membership Professional Bodies:
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers as well as Institution of Engineers, Life Member, All India Management Association,
- Fellow, Institute of Directors.
- Affiliation with Industry Associations: Past President and Current Chairman (TC) for last two decades & Executive Committee Member, Alkali Manufacturers Association of India. Member, Governing Council of World Chlorine Council (World’s apex organization for Chlor-Alkali industry).
- Nominations on Professional Committees(recent only): Energy sub Committee of PHD Chamber of Commerce; CII National Committee on Chemicals; Task Force set up by the
, of Chemicals & Petro-Chemicals, Govt. of India, under Chairmanship of Member, Planning Commission Mr. Arun Maira etc.
- Lectures/Presentations/Panel Discussions (recent only):
- keynote addresses in seminars/workshops organized by AMAI, since 2005 & chairing their sessions & panel discussions;
- Participation & paper presentation on Indian Chlor Alkali Industry during World Chlorine Council meetings since last 5 years at Shanghai, Houston, Moscow, New Delhi, Antwerp
- Member panel discussion, IIChE annual session held at Gauhati in 2015,
- Paper presentation representing India during 3rd, 4th & 5th China International Chlor Alkali Conferences held in China in 2014,2015 & 2016,
- Paper presentation representing India at the 19th World Chlor Alkali Conference organized by Technon Orbicom, UK at Hong Kong in 2015.
Paper presentation at the 10th International Chlor Alkali & Vinyls Conference at Bangkok in 2016.
- Other Membership:
- Rotarian since 1985; past President of Club.
- Past President, IIT Madras Alumni Association Delhi Chapter.
- Employment Record :
- Started career with Shriram Fertilizers & Chemicals,(a DCM group unit at Kota) in 1967, transferred to Vice Chairman’s office as Unit Control head in 1970, reporting directly to Late Dr. Charat Ram. Left in 1978.
- 1978-1985 – Group Project Manager, GP/CK Birla Group, Kolkata, looking after all overseas & local chemical projects and Group’s chemicals operations.
- 1985-1990 – Managing Director, Chemfab Alkalis, Pondicherry (India’s first Membrane Cells Plant).
- 1990-2008 – Executive Vice President of Birla Technical Services as well as GMMCO’s Chemicals Operations.
- 2008 – till date – President, Orient Paper Mills (CSU).
- Directorship of Group Companies:
- NEI Properties, since 1998;
- Indian Rockwool, 1998 till 2007;
- Birla Soft Enterprises Ltd., 1999 till amalgamation;
- C K Birla Corporate Services Ltd., since 2014;
- CKB Dental Care Ltd, since 2015.
- AMAI since 2008.