The Alumni Funded Travel Grant program is designed to assist IITM students in visiting countries abroad for various purposes, including presentation of papers at internationally recognized technical conferences. Participation in summits, workshops, competitions and internship and exchange programs may also be funded through this Program.
Name: Alumni Funded Travel Grant Program
- Help IITM students participate in International events and programs.
- Promote the ‘IIT Madras’ brand name at these venues
- Promote Research and Development in Technical Education by providing an opportunity to deserving students to interact with peers and experts at International level
- Support personal and professional development among IITians by facilitating participation in foreign internships, workshops, competitions, and summits
What is the travel grant program?
IITMAANA established a Travel grant program in August 2001 to assist students in visiting the USA and other countries for the purpose of making presentations at technical conferences. This grant has recently been enhanced with contributions from other alumni. This grant partially pays for round-trip airline ticket charges from Chennai to the conference venue in the US and in other countries, based on excursion or other low-priced fares. The grant also covers conference registration and visa fees. The Grant is intended as supplemental funding only. Typically, no more than 50% of the out-of-pocket expenses may be reimbursed.
2. Basic conditions to be fulfilled:
- 2.1 Student should normally apply, in the form available with Office of Alumni Affairs (OAA), through his/ her guide and HOD within 8 to 12 weeks after returning from the Conference or other Event.
- 2.2 QIP/Sponsored candidates must obtain clearance from their sponsoring authorities to attend the conference.
2.3 The student must have applied to IIT Madras for travel funding, if eligible, and in addition, to at least any two organizations that support similar programs—e.g., CSIR, DST, DBT, COSTED, INSA, AICTE, UGC, etc.
- 2.4 The student must register for at least one semester after his return. This requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis. For example, undergraduate students may be allowed to attend conferences up to 3 months prior to graduation date.
- 2.5 The student must not have previously availed an alumni funded travel grant.
- 2.6 Applicants for internships, exchange programs, and summer schools will be required to get a letter of support from the respective HoD.
- 3.1 The funding is limited to the difference between actual out-of-pocket expenses and receipts for all other sources. The least-airfare claim must be supported by offers from at least two Travel Agencies, two different travel websites or airlines.
- 3.2 All need-based applications will be processed on a case-to-case basis by a Travel Grant committee.
- 4.1 Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. The Committee will meet once a minimum of 80 applications have been received, or every four months.
- 4.2 This travel grant will be available only once to a student during his or her stay at IITM.
- 4.3 The aim is to distribute the Travel Grant equitably to applicants of various Depts., UG/ PG programs, etc.
- 4.4 Assistance in the form of a support letter can be given by OAA for the purpose of obtaining a Visa. Travel Grant will be given only on obtaining the Visa.
- 4.5 It is presumed that the student, in addition to his/ her technical achievements, has reasonable command over spoken and written English. Attendance at a conference requires the student to interact with practitioners in the field. This requires competency in English.
- 4.6 The student will prepare a high-quality presentation that will reflect well upon IIT Madras.
- 4.7 It is hoped that the student receiving the award will voluntarily make a donation to the Institute later in his/ her career so that other students might benefit.
- 4.8 The student will submit on return
- his/ her softcopy picture (in JPG file format) and a passport-size photograph (color –hard copy)
- one page summary of work accomplished during the visit abroad and how the visit abroad benefitted him/her, with an acknowledgement to alumni for providing partial financial assistance.
- a Participation Certificate and a financial statement giving particulars of amounts received from various funding agencies, and amount spent under various heads such as travel, Visa fees, Registration Fees, etc.
- All bills, including for food are to be retained, and copies are to be submitted
5 The following documents are to be forwarded:
- 5.1 One copy of the completed application form
- 5.2 Evidence in support of acceptance of paper for presentation-on letterhead of organizers; or evidence of acceptance for participation in workshops, summits, competitions, internships, exchange programs, summer school, etc.
- 5.3 Evidence to show whether the applicant is receiving partial travel support from Institution/other sources (other than personal sources).
- 5.4 A Certificate from two Travel Agencies/Two different travel websites/Airlines, indicating cost of return airfare by economy class/ excursion fare by shortest route.
- 5.5 The application, complete in all respects with enclosures, duly forwarded through the guide and HOD, should normally be submitted at least 8 to 12 weeks after return from Event.
Dean A & CR
Office of Alumni & Corporate Relations
II-Floor, IC&SR Building IIT Madras,
Chennai – 600 036
Ph: 2257 8390
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org