FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR IITM STUDENTS ATTENDING INTERNATIONAL EVENTS INFORMATION FOR THE APPLICANT
The Alumni Funded Travel Grant program is designed to assist IITM students in visiting countries abroad for various purposes, including presentation of papers at internationally recognized technical conferences. Participation in summits, workshops, competitions and internship and exchange programs may also be funded through this Program.
Alumni Funded Travel Grant Program
- Help IITM students participate in International events and programs.
- Promote the ‘IIT Madras’ brand name at these venues
- Promote Research and Development in Technical Education by providing an opportunity to deserving students to interact with peers and experts at International level
- Support personal and professional development among IITians by facilitating participation in foreign internships, workshops, competitions, and summits
What is the travel grant program?
Travel grant program established in August 2001 to assist students in visiting the USA and other countries for the purpose of making presentations at technical conferences. This grant has recently been enhanced with contributions from other alumni. This grant partially pays for round-trip airline ticket charges from Chennai to the conference venue in the US and in other countries, based on excursion or other low-priced fares. The grant also covers conference registration, stay, food, local travel and visa fees. The Grant is only intended as supplemental funding.
2. Basic conditions to be fulfilled:
- 2.1 Students should normally apply, in workflow (student IAR module) within 8 to 12 weeks after returning from the Conference or other Event. Once the status of your workflow ticket reaches ‘’IAR dealing assistant’’, you should submit the hard copy of the bills with boarding passes to the ACR office.
- 2.2 All the events must be related to their core area of study at IITM, Non-core related travel expenses are not supported.
- 2.3 The student may apply to IIT Madras for travel funding, if eligible, and in addition, to at least any two organizations that support similar programs—e.g., CSIR, DST, DBT, COSTED, INSA, AICTE, UGC, etc.
- 2.4 The student must register for at least one semester after their return. This requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis. For example, undergraduate students may be allowed to attend conferences up to 3 months prior to graduation date.
- 2.5 The student must not have previously availed an alumni funded travel grant.
- 3.1 The funding is limited to the difference between actual out-of-pocket expenses and receipts for all other sources. The least-airfare claim must be supported by offers from at least two Travel Agencies, two different travel websites or airlines.
- 3.2 The Travel grant will be sanctioned only after the event as a partial reimbursement. No advance shall be given.
- 3.3 All need-based applications will be processed on a case-to-case basis by a Travel Grant committee.
- 3.4 The Travel Grant Committee has the right to cancel student TG application based on the interview.
- 4.1 Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. The Committee will meet once a minimum number of applications have been received, or every two months.
- 4.2 This travel grant will be available only once to a student during his or her stay at IITM.
- 4.3 The aim is to distribute the Travel Grant equitably to applicants of various Depts., UG/ PG programs, etc.
- 4.4 The student will prepare a high-quality presentation that will reflect well upon IIT Madras.
- 4.5 It is hoped that the student receiving the award will voluntarily make a donation to the Institute later in his/ her career so that other students might benefit.
- 4.6 The student will submit on return
- his/ her softcopy picture (in JPG file format) and a passport-size photograph (color –hard copy)
- One page summary of work accomplished during the visit abroad and how the visit abroad benefitted him/her, with an acknowledgement to alumni for providing partial financial assistance.
- A Participation Certificate and a financial statement giving particulars of amounts received from various funding agencies, and amount spent under various heads such as travel, Visa fees, Registration Fees, etc.
- All bills and boarding passes, including for food are to be retained, and copies are to be submitted
5. The following documents are to be forwarded:
Travel Grant Team
Office of Alumni & Corporate Relations
II-Floor, IC&SR Building IIT Madras,
Chennai – 600 036
Ph: 2257 8390
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org